ADHAAR AUTHENTICATION PROCESS
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is a statutory body established under the provisions of Adhaar. UIDAI was created with the purpose of issuing Unique Identification numbers (UDN). Under the Adhaar Act, 2016 UIDAI is responsible for Adhaar enrollment and Authentication.
Section 95 of the Finance Act Inserted Section 25(6A) to (6D) to provide the scheme of Adhaar Authentication. No aadhar authentication process was rolled on the portal. Now a detailed process of aadhar authentication has been rolled on the portal.
What is Adhaar Authentication?
Adhaar Authentication is a process by which adhaar number along with demographic information or biometric information of an Aadhaar number holder is submitted to the Central Identities Data Repository (CIDR) for its verification.
The purpose of Adhaar Authentication is to provide a digital, online platform so that the identity of the adhaar number holders can be validated instantly anytime, anywhere.
The Authentication service is provided online by UDIAI through the Hebbal Data Centre (HDC) and Manesar Data Centre (MDC) where online services for authentication and other services such as e-KYC are deployed in active-active mode to ensure high availability of services.
MODES OF AUTHENTICATION:
An authentication request will only be accepted by the Authority upon a request sent by the requesting entity electronically
Authentication may be carried out through the following modes:
- Demographic authentication: The Aadhaar number and demographic information of the Aadhaar number holder obtained from the Aadhaar number holder is matched with the demographic information of the Aadhaar number holder in the CIDR.
- One-time pin based authentication: A One Time Pin (OTP), with limited time validity, is sent to the mobile number and/ or e-mail address of the Aadhaar number holder registered with the Authority, or generated by other appropriate means. The Aadhaar number holder shall provide this OTP along with his Aadhaar number during authentication and the same shall be matched with the OTP generated by the Authority.
- Biometric-based authentication: The Aadhaar number and biometric information submitted by an Aadhaar number holder are matched with the biometric information of the said Aadhaar number holder stored in the CIDR. This may be fingerprint-based or iris-based authentication or other biometric modalities based on biometric information stored in the CIDR.
- Multi-factor authentication: A combination of two or more of the above modes may be used for authentication.
OBTAINING ADHAAR NUMBER HOLDER’S CONSENT FOR AUTHENTICATION:
- If an individual’s Adhaar number is not assigned, then the individual will be offered an alternate means of identification for delivery of subsidy, benefit, or service.
- In compliance with Aadhaar Act, all requesting entities or service providers under the act will obtain the consent of an individual before collecting his/her identity information for the purpose of authentication in such manner as mandated by UIDAI’s policy and regulations.
- An individual should ensure that the identity information is only used for submission to the CIDR for authentication.
- Nothing contained in this Aadhaar Act shall prevent the use of Aadhaar number for establishing the identity of an individual for any purpose, whether by the State or any body corporate or person, pursuant by law, for the time being in force, or any contract to this effect.
- Provided that the use of Aadhaar number shall be subject to the procedure and obligations under section 8 and Chapter VI of the Act.
PROCESS OF ADHAAR AUTHENTICATION:
- The registration application should be properly filled and submitted.
- Once the registration application is submitted, an authentication link will be shared on GST registered mobile numbers and to the email ids mentioned in the GST application.
- On clicking the verification link, a window for Aadhaar Authentication will open where Aadhaar Number was entered and the OTP shall be received by applicants on the mobile number linked with Aadhaar.
- The taxpayer should make sure that they complete their Aadhaar authentication of all their Promoters/ Partners/ Authorized Signatories/ Karta etc. as mentioned in the application to avail of this option.
- The applicant can access the link again for authentication by navigating to My Saved Applications > Aadhaar Authentication Status > RESEND VERIFICATION LINK.
NOTE: Mobile Number can be updated/corrected through Aadhar enrolments/updating/correction form by visiting aadhar enrolment center.
REJECTION OF APPLICATION:
Rejection of application on account of no response or unsatisfactory response has been made optional. Earlier it was mandatory to reject the registration by issuing REG-05.
Connect with our expert team for any assistance in doing this compliance. Connect on Whatsapp at 7417381631 or 7017698021 for more details